Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cube Love

I think it's about time for another post, just to show the bits and pieces I've been working on. First, my little contribution to this month's Moodboard at OTTBS. It was a little bit of a challenge; fall colors I have, but pink? PINK! My stash is oddly lacking in pinks, particularly pink seeds. After a bit of frustration, I found this big faceted glass round in pink and thought, "Okay, I can work with this." (Look at that giant chip in the bead! Luckily you can't really see it in real life.) I'd been meaning to do something round in herringbone, and this seemed to be a good opportunity to use lots of different colors in one piece. As for what this piece is... I have no idea. Perhaps it could be a pendant, or a very large flashy ring? Or perhaps it will sit in the box full of all the other little round doodads I've beaded, haha.


I wanted to do more with the moodboard colors, but that pink was just blocking me at every turn, so I said "Fuck it!" and turned to something not fall-like at all. This type of cube-y two drop peyote I'd attempted a number of times but kept failing miserably; then yesterday it just 'clicked'. Normally I find peyote a little tedious, but this one works up quickly and since it switches from cubes to seeds, there's a little variety. Oi, but it uses up thread fast! Ah well. I adore these cubes; I've had them for years, but really I just bought them because I liked how they looked in the tube. Finally, the tube of cubes happened to roll next to the tube of the opaque red seeds and I loved how they looked together. So, it kind of decided for me. I love when that happens.
So that's what's been going on with me recently. Instead of my usual gratuitous kitty photo, I'll leave you with this; a frog I found in, of all places, my toilet. Ha! (I scooped him up into a styrofoam cup and we took him outside.) Forgive the awful quality, but isn't he cute?

'Til Next Time!
€€

6 comments:

  1. Oh both pieces are awesome! And yes the frog is a cutie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thank you! in fact, after we released the froggie outside, he hopped onto my bare foot and just hung out for awhile. finally i gently shook him off into the grass because i wanted to go in already! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bead addict, too! I just string 'em on cable to make simple necklaces and bracelets, but I've been wanting to learn how to do fancier things like peyote stitch forever. Don't really have the time to devote to that right now, though. I really like your bracelet with the cube beads!

    That frog is adorable, btw. Frogs are maybe the only non-furry animals capable of making me go "awwwww!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy your ability to do bead weaving >.< My attempts at herringbone are never so straight and smooth *sigh*

    Anyhow, just popped in to give you a heads up and congrats. As soon as you email me your address and preferences I'll be mailing you those maple leaves you admired from my giveaway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, Skye! I'm so excited! I just emailed you :3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magnifique j'adore !

    ReplyDelete